Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Notes upon shopping

I was in Walmart the other day. And Target on another occasion. When I looked at their graphic tees, I realized that there were probably a grand total of five shirts from their collections that did not have skulls in the design. Some cultures openly embrace death and the rituals associated with it. Ours has made it a selling point.

It doesn't end with Hot Topic either. Television: Dead Like Me, Pushing Daisies, Six Feet Under. Movies: goes without saying, really, any zombie movie, Nightmare Before Christmas, The Virgin Suicides, any horror movie with sharp objects and teenagers, Hostel, Saw, you get it.

Instead of the Dia de Los Muertos, we have Dead: The Movie (based on the book), with promotional tie-in t-shirt and shoes of the dead, which had a short television spin-off follow-up of the dead, and topped off with a smattering of straight to DVD Dead sequels.

On a side note: I watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit for the first time in ten years last night. Number one: Roger is the most annoying cartoon character ever. Number two: the ending with the bad guy and the cartoon eyes and the saw blade and fake face and stuff? Holy crap, it was just as scary as I remember it.

3 comments:

Mike Puncekar said...

Haha, yeah, stupid skull vector kits have muddled my search for good vector texture packs. Don't forget the need for guitars on the shirts as well, because why play guitar to how you love it, when you can where a shirt with 5 guitars on it (and a skull, maybe some headphones) to show you extra love it.

David Hovey said...

haha. totally.

Kira said...

I blame it on Rockband. That game is the heart of America's design problems. People dreaming to be rockstars, what the hell are they thinking.

I'm guilty though... I like the skulls. Can't help it, somewhere deep down inside I still wish I was a rebellious punk rock 13 year old. I'm probably their target market.